At Matos Personal Injury Lawyers, we know the toll construction accidents have on victims and loved ones. From physical injuries to emotional trauma, victims need an advocate to help them recover.
We have seen how construction sites can become hazardous places, even with safety protocols. That is why our Lakewood construction accident lawyers are ready to step in. For over 40 years, we have guided victims on the journey to post-accident compensation.
Contact us today in Lakewood, Colorado, at (720) 912-7274 to get started with a free, no-strings-attached consultation.
Why Should I Hire Matos Personal Injury Lawyers To Handle My Lakewood Construction Accident Claim?
Matos Personal Injury Lawyers prides itself on a long-standing commitment to our clients. When you work with us, you get a lawyer and a devoted advocate who will stand beside you through every step of the process.
Our Lakewood personal injury lawyers have secured millions of dollars in compensation for the injured since we were founded. We’re confident in our ability to help you achieve a favorable result for your case.
Here is why our clients choose and trust us after an accident in Lakewood, CO:
- Experience: We bring decades of hands-on experience to every construction accident claim. Our team has the knowledge and foresight to navigate the nuances and intricacies of your case.
- Local Expertise: Our seasoned construction accident lawyers have local experience in Lakewood, Colorado. This provides clients with a strategic advantage in and out of court.
- Strategic Case Preparation: We believe in thorough prep work. Our team invests time gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and consulting experts to ensure we are a step ahead.
- Negotiation Prowess: Not all cases go to trial. Our construction accident lawyers are skilled negotiators. We will argue for settlements that only reflect the true value of your damages.
- No Win, No Fee: We operate on a contingency fee, meaning you pay nothing unless we secure compensation for you. This underscores our confidence in our abilities.
- Client-Centric Approach: We put you – the client – at the heart of everything we do. Our services are not just focused on legal representation, but showing empathy and understanding for the injured.
In choosing Matos Personal Injury Lawyers, you are putting a team of experienced construction accident lawyers in your corner to pursue justice on your behalf.
What Causes Construction Accidents in Lakewood, CO?
Federal, state, and local laws are designed to keep construction workers safe. The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, for example, has issued regulations designed to prevent workplace accidents. Despite stringent safety protocols, construction remains one of the riskiest industries.
Lakewood, Colorado, sees its fair share of construction accidents. These accidents traditionally have many causes, including:
- Equipment malfunctions: Machinery at construction sites should be inspected and tested. Even with regular checks, however, equipment can malfunction and cause accidents.
- Falls from heights: Construction workers often operate at elevated heights. Improper use of safety harnesses or unstable working platforms can cause falls. Falls can cause dire injuries or death.
- Electrocution: Construction workers are regularly exposed to live wires, incomplete electrical systems, and improper grounding. Workers who come in contact with electrical charges may suffer severe injuries.
- Exposure to harmful substances: Construction relies on hazardous materials and substances. Workers regularly exposed to such chemicals or who wear improper personal protective equipment like gloves or goggles can experience dangerous side effects. This includes burns, respiratory issues, and long-term health complications.
- Structural collapses: Improperly shoring or removing frameworks can lead to collapses. Ground collapses can partially or fully trap workers.
- Lack of safety measures or protocols: Complying with proper training and safety protocols requires training. Injuries can happen when policies and procedures are not followed or enforced.
- Negligent operation of machinery: The negligent operation of machinery can cause significant injury. Combining human error, improper proper training, or simple oversight with large, heavy machinery creates significant hazards.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident, schedule a free consultation.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Construction Accident in Lakewood, CO?
Time is of the essence when dealing with construction accident claims. In Colorado, state law allows victims to initiate a lawsuit up to two years after the accident. This two-year period, known as the statute of limitations, is critical. If you miss this window, you have often permanently forfeited your rights to hold the response party accountable.
While two years may seem like a long time, it is always beneficial to act promptly. Consulting a construction accident lawyer immediately will help strengthen your claim. A lawyer can help you preserve evidence.
They can also guide you through conducting an investigation and collecting medical documentation. The earlier our construction accident lawyers can get to work, the better your chances of building a strong case.
What Damages Are Available to Construction Accident Victims in Lakewood?
The aftermath of a construction accident can be overwhelming. Beyond the immediate physical injuries and pain, victims may face mounting medical bills, job loss, and trauma. By default, you may have the option to file a workers’ compensation claim. However, this claim can only provide you with limited benefits.
In some cases, you may be eligible to file a third-party personal injury lawsuit for full compensation. In this type of claim, you can recover both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are the financial costs you incur due to someone’s negligence. These often include:
- Medical expenses: These include current expenses for emergency room visits, surgeries, or medications. It also includes future medical treatments, surgeries, or accident-related physical therapy.
- Lost wages: You may not be able to work while you recover. If you cannot work due to your construction accident, you can claim compensation for the wages, bonuses, and other benefits you lost. Permanent injuries may also entitle you to compensation for diminished earning capacity.
Other economic damages may apply as well, depending on the case.
Non-economic damages provide compensation for non-financial losses you experienced. These traditionally include compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of companionship with loved ones. This type of damage recognizes that construction accidents leave other scars beyond visible injuries. The law acknowledges you to recover compensation.
It can be difficult to calculate your damages alone as well as to know your best course of action after a construction accident. Accurately determining the value of lost wages, future medical expenses, or pain and suffering may require expert testimony.
The Matos Personal Injury Lawyers team will evaluate your case and ensure damages are left unaccounted for. This will allow you to maximize your claim.
How Much Is My Construction Accident Worth in Lakewood, CO?
Determining the exact value of a construction accident claim involves weighing many variables. A construction accident lawyer must consider all factors, collectively, when valuing a case. A major factor is whether you can file both a workers’ compensation claim in addition to a personal injury lawsuit. Our legal team can help you review your options during your free case evaluation.
Other factors that could influence the value of your construction accident claim include:
- The severity and permanence of your injuries,
- The clarity of fault or liability,
- Your total medical expenses,
- Your future care costs,
- Your lost earnings or diminished earning capacity, and
- Your pain and suffering for the physical and emotional aftermath of the accident.
It is challenging to value a case without analyzing specific details. Once we’ve spoken with you about your case, we’ll be able to provide further insight.
What if I’m Partly Responsible for My Construction Accident?
Not all construction accidents have clear liability. Sometimes, victims themselves play a role in their accident by failing to follow a workplace safety rule or operating machinery negligently.
Colorado’s “modified comparative negligence” rule comes into play in these cases. The rule states that even if you bear some of the blame for the accident, you can still claim damages. However, your compensation will be reduced proportionally by your percentage of fault.
For instance, if you are 20 percent responsible for your damages and your claim is worth $100,000, you will only receive $80,000. It is also crucial to note that under this rule, if you are found more than or equal to 50 percent at fault, you will be barred from seeking compensation.
These claims are some of the most complex. A construction accident lawyer at Matos Personal Injury Lawyers will evaluate the facts of your case to determine liability amongst the parties involved. They will also be able to defend you against allegations that your negligence played a role in your construction accident.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Construction Accident Lawyer in Lakewood, CO?
Financial pressure should not deter victims from seeking justice. That is why Matos Personal Injury Lawyers represents construction accident victims on a contingency fee basis. In simple terms, victims do not pay hourly or upfront costs for representation. Instead, we only get paid a percentage of the compensation we obtain for you.
Contact Our Experienced Lakewood Construction Accident Lawyers To Schedule a Free Consultation
Construction accidents can change lives in seconds. In the aftermath, victims often feel lost navigating the winding paths ahead.
With decades of experience, Matos Personal Injury Lawyers knows how to guide victims to justice and compensation. Our dedicated team of Lakewood construction accident lawyers is ready to offer you the expertise and compassion you need in the weeks and months ahead.
If you or a loved one has been affected by a construction accident in Lakewood, Colorado, reach out today. Schedule a free initial consultation.