FAQs: Car Accident Reports in Colorado

Colorado has tens of thousands of miles of roads within its borders, and if you are involved in a crash on any of them, you may have to file an accident report. Here is what you need to know about making an accident report following a crash in Colorado:

Should I Call The Police After My Accident?

Yes, you will need to call the police to the scene of the accident in most cases. Colorado law requires that you notify the police after any crash that results in injury, death, or property damage

This encompasses all wrecks except those that are very minor, whether you experience a head-on collision or other type of crash. In addition, police may not respond if there is an Accident Alert in effect due to inclement weather.

What Happens When Police Arrive on the Scene?

After law enforcement arrives at the scene of your car accident, they may gather pertinent information from you and others involved in the crash. They might take photographs and diagram the accident scene before determining a cause or cause for the accident. They will then compile their findings into an accident report.

Do I Have To File an Accident Report After a Crash?

If the police came to the accident scene and prepared a report, you do not need to file any additional accident report. The officer’s report is sufficient to comply with the law. If the Department of Revenue needs additional information from you, they will write to you and identify what other information they require.

However, if the police did not respond to your crash, you will need to file an accident report yourself. You can do this by reporting the accident online. The law gives you 60 days from the date of your crash to file your accident report.

Can I Obtain a Copy of My Accident Report?

Yes, you can usually get a copy of your accident report by submitting a completed DR 2489 affidavit online. This form requests details about you and your accident so that the records can be located. You must also identify the legal basis for your request by marking the appropriate selection on the second page of the affidavit.

It can take up to 90 days for an accident report to be entered into the state’s systems and be available for dissemination. As a result, if your accident happened recently, you should not expect to receive a response to your request right away.

How Can I Use My Accident Report?

Accident reports, especially those completed by law enforcement officers, can be helpful when trying to obtain compensation for your injuries. For example, these reports typically list pertinent information about the other drivers involved in the accident and their contact information. This makes it easier to locate them and file a lawsuit against them. 

Beyond this, an accident report completed by a law enforcement officer may contain that officer’s opinions about the cause of the accident. This can clue you and your attorney into evidence and witnesses that might be available to help you prove your case. 

The stronger your case is, the more likely you’ll be able to receive the compensation you need to cover losses like property damage, missed wages, and medical bills. 

Navigating Colorado Car Accident Reports

If you call the police following an accident that results in personal injury or property damage, you will have complied with your legal obligation to file a report once the police arrive at the scene. If they do not arrive, you can easily complete a report online. Your attorney can advise you of any of these requirements and guide you on properly filling out the report.

Remember to request a copy of your report after about 90 days. This report can serve as a vital part of your potential accident claim.

Contact an Experienced Lakewood Car Accident Attorney For Help With Your Claim

If you’ve been injured in Lakewood, CO, and need legal help, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer at Matos Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation.

Matos Personal Injury Lawyers – Lakewood Office
550 S Wadsworth Blvd, Suite 300, Lakewood, CO 80226
(720) 807-1602
Hours: Open 24/7